Rural Energy for America Program – Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency
What does this program do?
Provides guaranteed loan financing and grant funding to agricultural producers and rural small businesses to purchase or install renewable energy systems or make energy efficiency improvements.
Who may apply?
Agricultural producers with at least 50% of gross income coming from agricultural operations, and small businesses in eligible rural areas.
NOTE: Agricultural producers and small businesses must have no outstanding delinquent federal taxes, debt, judgment or debarment.
Why does USDA Rural Development do this?
This program helps increase American energy independence by increasing the private sector supply of renewable energy and decreasing the demand for energy through energy efficiency improvements. Over time, these investments can also help lower the cost of energy costs for small businesses and agricultural producers.
What is an eligible area?
- Businesses must be in an area other than a city or town with a population of greater than 50,000 inhabitants and the urbanized area of that city or town. Check eligible business addresses.
- Agricultural producers may be in rural or non-rural areas.
- Loan guarantees on loans up to 75% of total eligible project costs.
- Grants for up to 25% of total eligible project costs.
- Combined grant and loan guarantee funding up to 75% of total eligible project cost.
How do we get started?
Applications for this program are accepted year round at our office.